LOOP Orbiter Package

Hello Guys,

please find attached a first version (0.1) of the LOOP (Lunar Orbital Operation Platform) package for Orbiter.

This is a first high-detail textured model of the LOOP (Lunar Orbital Operation Platform) part of the Italian “Moonlight scenario” (to be implemented asap both in Orbiter Sim and in the real world too, of course!!!)

The included files are:
Loop.dll
loop_lite.msh
Loop.cfg
LOOP_readme1.txt
Scenarios:
Loop_moon_equat.scn → Loop in an equatorial moon orbit
L1_Loop.scn → Loop in not stable Earth-Moon L1 (if you set the Time warp speed up simulation by a factor of 100000, you will see the Loop to escape from the L1 position)
Loop_Earth_orb.scn → Loop orbiting around Earth
Texture Files:
d_ring.dds
isspanel.dds
MPLM_body.dds
Radiator2.dds
Solar3.dds
Tank.dds
(dds files mostly already in orbiter 2006 package)

Enjoy!!!

I wanna thank Buran (aka Stefano) for its outstanding job done with Orbiter, very useful (in this very early phase of our project) to determinate what is the best position for LOOP facility.

Let me spend few words about LOOP, for who don’t know this project.

LOOP (Lunar Orbital Operations Platform) is a semi-automatic lunar orbital platform (even if in L1) strongly derived from ISS in architecture and modules. LOOP purpose is to assure a stable spacedock facility to EAGLE lunar landers (up to two), enabling them to be fully refurbished by Lunar Tanker. LOOP is intended also as “exchange station” for crews that coming from Earth with ARIES manned spacecrafts.

LOOP is a part of the architecture of the so-called “Moonlight Scenario” as presented to NASA and ESA in the last weeks.
Moonlight scenario is developed by AAS-Italy and CIRA supported by MARS Center, and it is a lunar exploitation scenario which utilizes some brand new vehicles expressely designed to accomplish the missions foreseen in it.

For who wants to go deeply in the project is possible to download the presentation of Moonlight scenario at the following link:

http://www.forumastronautico.it/download_extra.php

GREAT JOB Stefano!
After the exams I’ll try it! :smiley: I don’t want temptations… :frowning:

GREAT JOB!
Now I think we can recontact our friends in US and other space related forums, and invite them to download the add-on.
Tomorrow I’ll upload the entire package in the Download section, in order to make it easy and quick to find for downloading.

Bravo Stefano!

Thanks!!!

Before to move tha package into the download section here is a new version 0.2 with some scenarios bugs fixed

Again a new Moon scenario with the Loop oriented with the Moon radius vector.

The gravity gradient refers to the difference in the acceleration of gravity. As the Loop orbits the Moon, the center of mass follows the path of the orbit plane. The points on the Loop that follow that path but are closer to cause torques about the center of mass, because of the slightly different gravitational pull being exerted upon them.
By aligning the z axis (line from solar panels to docking Module) of the Loop with the Moon radius vector (a line from the center of the Moon to the Loop), these torques balance and cause the attitude to be stable.

Very nice but I need to note a few things.

First for some reason or another you cant dock to it. I do not think any docking ports were defined.

The Solar Panels need to rotate to track to the sun. This is what the current panels on ISS do.

There seems to be no thrusters or gyros to maneuver.

Other than that the station looks good.

Very nice but I need to note a few things.

First for some reason or another you cant dock to it. I do not think any docking ports were defined.

The Solar Panels need to rotate to track to the sun. This is what the current panels on ISS do.

There seems to be no thrusters or gyros to maneuver.

Other than that the station looks good.

You are right for all the listed things, which will be implemented in the next version. Mainly I will add another vehicle class (eagle moon vehicle) and therefore also the docking ports. Archipeppe said me about gyros to maneuver and no thrusters.
In any case thank you for your suggestions, since I’m pretty new into Orbiter world. :roll_eyes:

Well you are way ahead of me thats for sure lol.

Somthin tells me the station will need a few small thrusters just in case the gyros fail. Its a safeguard.