Polish hardware development update

Well, I have some updates regarding chomik - penetrator that will be used on Fobos-Grunt. Device has been shipped to Moscow a little more than a week ago for tests and integration. As I previously have written it composes of modified electromagnetical hammer designed orginally for Philae lander. however this time Chomik (hamster) will not measeure thermal conductivity but instead will take samples on the rock.

It turns out that guys at Polish Space Research Center were busy and designed another MUPUS orginated device - this time impactor. It’s called “Kret” (Mole). It is significantly modified version of MUPUS, completely enclosed in a casing made of carbon-fibres with some titanium elements (like the tip). It’s supposed to go as deep as 5 meters. However the name ‘penetrator’ can be a bit misleading - device will be dropped from just few meters, to just get a first hold with the ground. Remaining depth will be covered by activiating mass movement inside the casing, which would make the whole device start burrying in. Power and data relay would be possible by a cable.

So far no details have been given about a mission that would use those, though I presume it might have something to do with planned russian moon missions.

Cheers.

1 Mi Piace

Fobos-Grunt is a very interesting and ambitious mission, so: GO Chomik!

Concernig Kret, in this article, it seems that it will be involved within the International Lunar Network program.

Very interesting indeed. Please, keep us informed! :slight_smile:

Indeed, International Lunar Network.

As for another story of polish satellites of BRITE constellation - names have been chosen for both. First one will be named Lem (as in Stanisław Lem - polish author of many science fiction novels), second one - Heweliusz (as in Jan Heweliusz, astronomer that worked in Gdańsk).

1 Mi Piace

Ah, one more thing.

From what I hear PW-Sat demo-tech cubesat is almost ready for flight, so it all depends on Vega now.

1 Mi Piace

Development update:

CHOMIK penetrator (it’s engineering model) underwent testing in Moscow. Flight model pending. First vibration tests went okay. However there might have been some issues afterwards - not sure what happened exactly.

PW-Sat - it’s official - will fly on Vega’s maiden flight later this year, thus most likely becoming first polish satellite (yeah… :roll_eyes:).

First of the two BRITE sats will probably fly in late 2011/early 2012.

P.S. If You’re interested how MUPUS (penetrator on Philae lander) looks like: https://picasaweb.google.com/Maquis.Drake/Wystawa#5581011404600175250

1 Mi Piace

That’s what tests are for. :slight_smile:

Phobos Grunt launch is approaching, though. I hope this won’t have an impact on the mission.

Thanks a lot for the updates.

Yeah. But the team is great and they can solve pretty much anything :slight_smile:
In fact I heard they already did.

1 Mi Piace

Oh yeah - and Kret was tested - went fine as far as I know.

1 Mi Piace

LEM, first of two polish BRITE satellites will fly later than orginally planned - in late 2012. Rocket has been changed from indian to russian rocket and the launch site is now moved to Jasnyj (which should give You a hint about the rocket itself). Unfortunately I’m not authorized to pass reasons for the delay.

1 Mi Piace

Some more info about CHOMIK incident. Turns out CHOMIK’s problems were not caused by the design itself, but faulty test hardware.

Now to change subject. Our first stratospheric probe was launched on Sunday to test the basic design layout. Telemetry was received fine up to the point when probe was supposed to be released from balloon. Shaking and acceleration probably caused errors in data stream. About 20-25 minutes later we lost signal. Unfortunately both of our trackers did not engage and thus probe was not retrieved. We’re contacting local authorities - perhaps someone will find it.

Telemetry readout states that probe went to at least 26,5 km and travelled 80 km from launch area (probably up to 120 km).

Work began on Hevelius 2 - a much more advanced stratopsheric probe with a lot of changes such as: primary and backup on board computer with more powerful processors, dual channel telemetry, staged parachute system, custom long range GSM tracker (primary and secondary), modular chassis, photovoltaic backup power source, multi-camera support, night missions capable.

1 Mi Piace

CHOMIK flight hardware has been sent to Russia for integration.

As for Hevelius 2 - we’re finishing up preliminary hardware design. A lot of failsafes will be built in, so hopefully this time we’ll get proper telemetry throughout the mission (and probably some time after it lands). We are also wrapping up list of things we need and then construction phase will start.

1 Mi Piace

Go maquis, and keep us posted!

I can do better :wink:

Hevelius project is open so all documentation will be available - if You’re interested. Now, I don’t know how exactly Stratosphera was designed (I am curious though - would be nice if You could point me to that), but perhaps You could use something from our desing if it fits Your needs.

1 Mi Piace

BTW, Marco - I’ve seen You’re using Geiger on Stratosphera - could You give me a hint where You get it? Or is it made from scratch on Geiger tube?

1 Mi Piace

The Geiger has been built from scratch by our user and friend Matteo “AstroTeo” Negri, and he also wrote and refined the firmware in order to connect the Geiger tube to Stratospera’s mainboard and download the results.
We have explained a lot about this topic here: http://www.stratospera.com/archives/812 ; maybe you can pass this page through google translator and have it translated in Polish or English.
Anyway, feel free to ask anything here, we’ll try to explain at our best :wink:

Thanks! We’ll take a look for sure.
StratoSpera (sortof StratoHope) is an amatour balloon project. We started by KISS philosophy, incrementing the design of the payload step by step, mission after mission. Our main goal is to share the wonder of orbit-like images ( http://www.stratospera.com/archives/category/multimedia-2 ) with the widest audience possible, so we gathered a group of people with different personal skills, but commoned by the same passion for space and technology, forming the “StratoSpera Team”.
We opened a web blog to document the steps of the assemby of our payloads, and later to show the incredible images we collected during our first flight.
Last year, as I mentioned, we’ve had our first launch in September from central Italy (Tuscany, near Florence); it went smoothly even if we had some regression in the cutoff mechanism’s design.
Payloads weight is well under 1 kg, while the balloon has a lifting capability of >=1,2 kg.

This year we added the Geiger tube to the payload, and Francesco Sacchi redesigned and partially industrialized the mainboard in order to optimize performances, reliability and power consumption.

Still, this remains an amatour project, even our ideas would require a “professional” budget :smiley:

We’re using larger balloons I guess with 2,5 kg total lift so max 2 kg payload.

Right now Hevelius 2 is evolving. Work will soon start on modular chassis. Computer work is underway (lightweight GPS modules testing). Upper side will very likely look like this:

1 Mi Piace

Ma non eravamo su un forum italiano? Qui ci sono anche soci che non masticano bene l’Inglese, grazie!!!

sei sull’International Guest Forum, scusa se parlano in inglese…