NASA assegna i nuovi programmi ai propri centri

L’Amministratore Charlie Bolden e la sua vice Lori Garver hanno presentato ieri gli assegnamenti dei nuovi programmi di lavoro per i vari centri spaziali distribuiti su tutto il territorio, nell’ambito del President’s fiscal year 2011 budget request.

Previa approvazione del Congresso, NASA creerà nuovi programmi quali lo sviluppo di tecnologie per l’esplorazione, HLV e nuove tecnologie propulsive, precursori robotici per l’esplorazione, ricerca in ambito umano ed supporto allo sviluppo per il volo spaziale commerciale.

In oltre verranno aumentati i fondi per i direttorati scientifici ed aeronautici che aumenteranno la capacità di osservazione della terra ed aiuteranno a creare dei nuovi sistemi di trasporto aereo più ecologici, efficienti e sicuri.

I nuovi assegnamenti ai 10 centri NASA permetteranno di completare e terminare in tutta sicurezza il programma STS e rafforzare la presenza americana sulla ISS fino al 2020 ed oltre.

Bolden ha così commentato:
“Questi nuovi programmi sono basati sulla grande conoscienza che la NASA ha sviluppato in oltre 50 anni e riconoscono la forza, la professionalità e l’impegno della nostra work force, relativamente alle specialità che ogni centro ha sviluppato negli anni”.

“Inoltre questi assegnamenti rappresentano un nuovo approcio all’esplorazione spaziale, che ci permetterà di andare oltre l’orbita terrestre con una robusta esplorazione esterna”.

Il Johnson Space Center di Houston continuerà la gestione della ISS e l’addestramento degli astronauti e verrà avviato un nuovo programma per lo sviluppo della cosiddetta “flagship technology demonstration”, ricevendo $424m nel 2011 per un totale di $6b per i prossimi 5 anni.

Il Kennedy Space Center riceverà $500m nel 2011 per un totale di $5.8b per i prossimi 5 anni per incoraggiare lo sviluppo del settore privato-commerciale dei lanciatori, oltre che ulteriori $1.9b per l’ammodernamento delle strutture operative.

Il Marshall Space Flight Center di Huntsville riceverà $3.1b nei prossimi 5 anni per sviluppare nuovi sistemi propulsivi che risulteranno in un nuovo HLV neceesario al lancio di grandi carichi per l’esplorazione BEO.

Fonte: NASA
http://www.nasa.gov/home/hqnews/2010/apr/HQ_10-078_Work_assignments.html

In allegato le slides specifiche per ogni centro.

Altri…

Finalmente qualcosa di ufficiale e di scritto, cmq tutto ancora sul generale…dicialmo che si sono tracciate delle linee guida…ho trovato interessanti i seguenti programmi di ricerca:

[i]Exploration Technology Development and Demonstration (ETDD) Program Office: This new
program will provide a path for bringing key exploration technologies to maturity from the
laboratory environment through ground testing, and ultimately to flight testing. Initial
demonstration projects are likely to focus on: high-power electric propulsion; autonomous
precision landing; in-situ resource utilization (including lunar volatiles characterization); humanrobotic
systems (including operating robots from planetary orbit); and fission surface power
systems. As the Program Office, GRC will coordinate and manage these activities across the
nation.

Flagship Technology Demonstration Program (FTDP) Program Office: This new program will
demonstrate critical space exploration technologies primarily through flight tests in space. At
least three demonstrations will be initiated in FY 2011 in areas such as in-orbit propellant transfer
and storage, lightweight/inflatable modules, and automated/ autonomous rendezvous and docking.
As the Program Office, JSC will coordinate programmatic activities with the Exploration Systems
Mission Directorate and provide management oversight and integration across the technology
demonstration flight missions. These flight projects will involve collaborations between Centers,
with industry, our International Partners, and/or with academia. JSC’s management and operation of the ISS Program will enable the FTDP office to foster close cooperation in the use of ISS as a
technology testbed and leverage science, international and robotic partnerships across the agency.

Heavy Lift and Propulsion Research and Development Program (HLPRD) Program Office: This
new program will investigate a broad scope of R&D activities to support next-generation space
launch propulsion technologies to both reduce costs and shorten development timeframes for
future heavy-lift and in-space systems. Target R&D activities include new approaches to firststage
launch propulsion; in-space advanced engine technology development and demonstrations;
and foundational propulsion research. Projects may also include intra-governmental,
commercial, academic and international partnerships. As the Program Office, MSFC will
coordinate programmatic activities with the Exploration Systems Mission Directorate and
provide management oversight and integration across the technology project elements. Most of
these technology development projects involve collaborations between Centers, with industry,
and/or with academia. MSFC’s many capabilities in engine and propulsion development will be
utilized in leading this program.

Exploration Robotic Precursor Program (xPRP) Program Office: This new program will send
robotic precursor missions to the Moon, Mars and its moons, Lagrange points, and nearby
asteroids to scout targets for future human activities, and identify the hazards and resources that
will determine the future course of the expansion of human civilization into space. Program
goals include gaining critical knowledge, proving technologies, and testing operational concepts
that will benefit future human explorers at these destinations. As the Program Office, MSFC
will coordinate programmatic activities and provide management oversight and integration
across mission elements. MSFC’s existing lunar robotic management capabilities will serve as
the foundation for this new program.[/i]

Programmi molto interessanti , si comincia a vedere o intravedere qualcosa che mi piace e che mi ricorda qualche cosa altro . Bisognerà aspettare però il discorso di Obama e sopratutto cosa resterà del Constellation e le timeline per tutto ciò

se tutto questo diventerà realtà ecco cosa resterà del Constellation: :skull:

Constellation Transition: A funding allocation of $1.9 billion in FY 2011, and $600 million in
FY 2012 provides for the transition and closeout activities on the Constellation Program. The
Program closeout will involve a comprehensive planning effort for the termination and resolution
of existing contracts; safing, disposition and reallocation of facilities; workforce assessment and
skills cross-mapping; assessing and extending systems development work from CxP towards the
new direction for Exploration.