Wayne Hale lascia il testimone

John Shannon è il nuovo Space Shuttle Program manager, segue Wayne Hale cui era il vice.
Hale aveva iniziato la sua carriera alla NASA nel '78, e dopo aver viaggiato per diverse divisioni, dalle comunicazioni alla propulsione, è approdato nel '88 al programma Shuttle come Direttore di Volo, ruolo ricoperto fino al 2003 in 41 missioni e dal 2001 era anche vice-capo al Flight Director Office.
Nel 2003 è stato trasferito al KSC per essere assegnato come Launch Integration Manager al programma Shuttle. Con la tragedia del Columbia è stato nominato vice Shuttle Manager, e dal Settembre 2005 era il Space Shuttle Program Manager.
Rinomato per la sua calma e per la chiarazza di esposizione con i media ha lasciato l’incarico per essere nominato “deputy associate administrator for strategic partnerships”.
Lo rimpiazza John Shannon, a capo del “Space Shuttle Guidance, Navigation and Flight Control” nel '92 è diventato il più giovane direttore di volo nella storia della NASA nel '93 partecipando a 58 missioni Shuttle.
Ha partecipato come vice-direttore alla Task Force per l’incidente del Columbia e in seguito è stato nominato vice di Wayne Hale.

Lettera di ringraziamenti/saluti di Wayne Hale a tutti i “sottoposti”:

Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 11:16 AM
Subject: To the Shuttle Team

[i]Just about three months ago in an email message similar to this, I told you it was my intention to stay with the shuttle program to the end in 2010. That is certainly where my heart lies and to finish out the program was my full intention.

However, life does not always turn out as we plan. Or maybe it does. I came to work in an agency nearly 30 years ago with the idea that we would return to the moon and go on to Mars within my career. That really was, and is, my goal.

In the last few days the agency has asked me to take on an urgent and important job which will be very important for our long range intentions to succeed in these bigger goals of returning to the moon and then sending people on to explore Mars and the rest of the solar system.

This is new position which I am asked to step into is a daunting task that will require moving considerably out of my comfort zone.

So it is with a mixed emotions, excitement and regret, that I tell you I will be leaving the job of Space Shuttle Program Manager effective immediately.

John Shannon will be taking over the reins as program manager. You all know John so I do not have to explain to you that he is extraordinarily well prepared to do this. John is an outstanding leader, a great listener, a man of incredibly good judgment, and comes with a vast knowledge of the technical details of the space shuttle and its support systems.

I have great confidence in the outstanding team that makes every shuttle flight safe and successful. There are great days ahead and all of you are up to that task. Keep your eye on the ball and make us proud!

I am sure that you will.

Meanwhile, I am not going far; you will continue to see me and you are all free to ask questions, advice if you think any I have to offer is worthwhile; and more importantly I need you to give me advice as to how we can build partnerships that will firmly cement the success of our future programs.

Expect to see me coming to ask you for help and advice.

One last thing: this is not about a bigger title (who cares) or about a bigger office (it’s smaller) or more pay (nada): it is about where I can best serve the agency and our greater mission. I will count on you to serve where you are called with the same intensity of purpose as I will bring to my new job.

Not farewell then, but good luck! [/i]

Sono davvero curioso di sapere dove il nostro buon Wayne Hale andrà a finire…
E’ una persona che si è dimostrata molto molto capace e onesta. Spero che venga valorizzata al meglio.

Come rimpiangero’ le “mitiche” cravatte di Hale… :wink:

p.s. l’ultima me la sono pure comprata… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Scherzi a parte credo che ci manchera’ la chiarezza di esposizione ed il senso dell’umorismo che utilizzava durante le conferenze stampa… :cry:

Speriamo che Shannon sia all’altezza… :bi:

LeRoy Cain, Launch Integration Manager al KSC prende il posto di Shannon diventando vice Space Shuttle Program Manager al JSC e Orbiter Project Office Manager, quest’ultima posizione sarà occupata temporaneamente da Steve Stich.
A scalare è probabile che molte posizioni saranno riviste per probabili promozioni.